Thursday, February 09, 2006

An Introduction

One of my friends suggested I do a blog after getting tired of reading one of many of my emails about my family, friends, work, etc. So I'm taking her advice and here I am. Of course, now that I've finally found a domain name that hasn't been chosen and picked a template, I can't remember any of the things that I wanted to say in my first post. Ah well. I'm sure it will come to me to use for a future date.

In the meantime, I'm totally appalled at this. Meet somebody online and then getting killed? Terrible! But I don't think the Web is to blame for these crimes. I think it's about as safe to date a guy that you've met online as it is to date someone you meet in a bar. I mean, would he not have killed her if spotted her at church, or the supermarket even? Probably so. True, the Web allows people to hide behind their computers and pretend to be people they're not, but that happens in real life as well. I've met guys in person who have told me things about themselves and their personalities ... only to find out that they were lying.

The dating world is rough. When I had a boyfriend, all I wanted was to be single. And now that I'm single, all I want is to be married and tucked away in the suburbs with a couple of kids. I graduated from college seven years ago and moved to a city in the Midwest where I didn't know a soul. I was shocked when a relative suggested that I should leave my date's vitals (name, address, phone number, etc) around my apartment before going out, so the police would know who to suspect if I was brutally murdered. *sigh* Needless to say, it's a policy that I follow to this day.... whether I've met the person online or not. You can never be too careful.

1 comment:

Juicy77 said...

My roommate and I take the same precautions when we go out on dates (or rather when SHE goes out on dates, because I don't date very often but that's another story.) We leave every bit of info we have on the person with the one staying behind. It's a scary world.